What Are the Types of Siding Options?
Siding is a protective exterior that covers the walls of a home or residential building. The primary purpose of siding is to protect the house and the household items within them. It protects your house from rain, snow and wind. A well-installed siding can shield your house from harmful weather conditions. Another purpose of siding is to provide aesthetic value to your house. Since it will take up the majority of the surface area outside your home, an attractive siding will add an extra appeal to your residence. All-Side Contracting Ltd. provides home and business owners in Edmonton with professional and affordable exterior renovation solutions.
There are different types of sidings available for you to choose from. With each material, you have the choice of aesthetics, durability, efficiency and price.
Popular Siding Materials for Your homes
Exterior siding increases the appeal of your home. From metal, steel to vinyl there are several options for your next project. Here are some of the features and advantages of popular siding materials that you should know about:
1. Vinyl Siding
Vinyl siding is plastic exterior siding used in houses and small apartment buildings. It is durable, comes in adifferent range of styles and colours including horizontal or vertical panels. Vinyl is often applied over old wood siding. Without proper installation, vinyl siding may warp or buckle.
- Vinyl siding has a warranty of 30-40 years post-installation.
- It is available in different textures such as wood shake, shingles, beaded, fish scales and dutch lap.
- Insulated vinyl can keep your home warmer in the winter and cooler during the summer.
- The installation is quick and easy with pre-drilled holes that are directly installed on the studs.
- Vinyl is usually less expensive than other siding materials.
- It is one of the low maintenance siding materials. Generally the colour won’t wear away which means these sidings don’t need painting.
- To maintain your vinyl siding, clean it once a year with a sponge and a mild detergent.
2. Metal Siding
Metal siding is associated with modern or retro style of properties. Metal exterior siding is a popular option for residential properties because of its strength and durability. Aluminum and steel are the most common materials used in metal siding. Both these materials have a wide range of colours, textures available. Steel siding provides a natural elegant style and is used by many homeowners for its durability.
- Metal siding is resistant to insect damage. It’s inorganic, so insects and rodents can’t penetrate it.
- The metal steel siding won’t fade and will retain colour. Aluminum siding fades over time.
- Steel siding won’t catch fire and will not melt under normal conditions.
- It is eco-friendly as it can be made from recycled steel. If you decide to change the materials you can recycle it once again.
- Maintaining a metal siding includes cleaning the surface stains with non-abrasive detergent. You can also repaint the sidings as recommended by the manufacturer. Both aluminum and steel siding can last up to 40 years with proper maintenance.
3. Stone Veneer
Stone veneer siding is easy to install and is available in a variety of colours and designs. They are made with either natural or manufactured stone.
4. Composite Siding
These types of sidings can be created from any material and they resemble wood. Composite sidings are available in a variety of colours and textures with a warranty of about 50 years.
Before you decide which material to use for sidings there are certain factors that you should consider to help make a sound decision.
- Resistant to Water
- Energy Efficient
Read our blog for signs that your home needs new siding.
Consider these factors before deciding the best exterior siding for your home. This will help you determine what materials you can afford and maintain. All-Side Contracting Ltd. provides siding, metal roofing, soffit, fascia, capping and windows services in Edmonton. Contact us today for a free estimate.